A gallup pollster
comes galloping galloping
through my telephone line.
Do you have a minute?
he asks
and I chime,
Oh yes! Oh yes!
seizing the chance
to speak my mind.
Are you happy?
he asks
on a scale of one to ten
I say
Oh yes! Oh yes!
I'm a ten!
He pauses
and asks again
A ten?
Oh yes! Oh yes!
A ten.
How much money
did you spend yesterday?
he asks.
None,
I say.
None?
he questions again.
None
I say
again.
Did you ride in a car?
he asks.
Oh no
I reply.
Did you watch TV?
he asks.
Oh no.
I reply.
Are you happy?
he asks again.
Oh yes! Oh yes!
I give it a ten
Do you practice
a religion?
he asks.
Oh yes
I say.
I'm a pagan.
A pagan?
he asks
Oh yes
I say
A pagan.
I don't know
where that fits
he says.
Is it
Christian
Jewish
Buddhist
Muslim
Agnostic
Secular
or Atheist?
What about other?
I ask.
No
he says
that can't be right
Pagan is a religion
Oh yes
I say,
It's a ten.
Let me get this right
he says
You spend no money
you go nowhere
you watch no TV
you're a pagan
and you're happy?
Yes, I say
a ten.
A ten
he replies
A ten.
"The most radical thing you can do with your life is to be happy." Dr. Patch Adams
Friday, February 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love this poem!
I think another radical thing you can do in your life is to answer all pollsters calls. Really. Mix them up a bit. Press 1 and then 3. Say yes and then no to the same question. Practice ambiguity. Help them understand that polls don't make the world go round.
People do.
And Happy People make it better.
I am glad you are a 10.
Post a Comment